(+92) 0317 1118263

Compensation and Atonement

I started fasting when I was 32 years old. How will I make up for my missed fasts?


(1) I am 60 years old. I started fasting when I was approximately 32 years old. How will I make up for my missed fasts? Can money be given as an atonement? (2) I gave some gold to my son when he was young. Now he is 22 years old and is employed. Is the Zakat on this gold due for the duration from when he became 18 years old until he became 22?

الجواب حامدا و مصلیا

The questioner must estimate the amount of his missed fasts and do Qaza (make up) for that estimated amount. Giving the Fidya for the missed fast without a valid excuse is not enough. Also, after the questioner had given his son the amount of gold and then took possession of it on his behalf, his son has become the owner of the gold. Zakat has been due on it every year from the time he had reached the age of puberty, on the condition that it equates to the amount of the Nisab, or it added with other Zakatable wealth equates the amount of the Nisab. Moreover, a male reaches puberty at the age of 15, but if other signs of puberty occur before this age, he will be considered as Baligh (one who has reached the age of puberty) as per Shari’ah.